Pollution Preventing Tips
The following is a helpful list of what you can do to help prevent storm water pollution in La Mesa's residential neighborhoods.
In Your Yard & Garden
- Recycle used motor oil and antifreeze. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that each year 180 million gallons of used motor oil gets dumped into storm drains or into the ground.
- Use a shutoff nozzle when washing your car. Use water and cleaners sparingly and use biodegradable products.
- Read labels of pesticides and fertilizers carefully. Use them sparingly and follow directions.
- Store chemicals in a safe place and dispose of unwanted chemicals at a hazardous household collection location.
- Use a broom and shovel to clean up leaves, dirt and debris. Don’t use a hose. Such cleaning will result in these materials ending up in the storm drain.
- Compost your plant cuttings to use as soil amendment and to help reduce erosion in your garden.
- Buy products labeled "non-toxic".
Never put unwanted hazardous materials in the trash can. Take them to a local collection site for safe disposal. Make it a habit to recycle reusable materials.