My car has been impounded, how do I get it back?

Call the Police Department with the license plate or VIN and they will be able to tell you why the car was impounded and what tow company has the vehicle. When a vehicle has been impounded, a release from the Police Department is required before you will be able to get the vehicle back from the tow company. If there was a registration problem, we will need some paperwork from the DMV showing the issue has been corrected. The vehicle owner will need to come to the Police Department with proper ID and the DMV paperwork. Be sure you or someone with you has a valid driver’s license. You will have to pay an impound fee at the Police Department for the release, present it to the tow company, and pay their charges as well.

Show All Answers

1. When should I call 9-1-1?
2. Which number should I call for non-emergency situations?
3. What number do I call to request graffiti removal?
4. I am looking for someone who was arrested. Who do I call for more information?
5. How do I get a copy of a police report?
6. My car has been impounded, how do I get it back?
7. How long can vehicles be parked on the street and what can I do if one has been in the same place for a long time?
8. How can I register a barking dog complaint?
9. How do I check my criminal record?
10. What are the juvenile curfew hours in La Mesa?
11. Who do the curfew hours apply to?
12. Are there any exceptions to the curfew restriction?
13. Who should I call if I have any questions about the curfew in La Mesa?